share

Share/Bookmark

Thursday, March 4, 2010

5 Rants About Dating and Being Friends

I hate it when someone who actually wants to be a real friend refers to me or anyone else as just a friend. To me, that’s a slap in the face and indicates that you’re not really a friend but are just saying that to be nice. There is some distinction between a friend and just a friend, and just a friend is certainly less important. In scrabble, when I play a 15 point word, I say it’s just 15 points, when I score 59% at the Robins Bridge Club, I say it’s just 59%. (Those are very low scores, btw, for my standards) I will never refer to someone as just a friend. I prefer to call them as acquaintances or not give a label at all.

I hate it when girls say let’s be friends and then don’t ever have any intentions of actually spending time together. Recently someone said, I’d love to be friends but I typically don’t associate with my guy friends more than about once in 6 months. What’s the point in that?

I hate when girls say you’re “totally awesome and you make me laugh and we get along great, but I’m not that into you.” Isn’t it the guy that’s supposed to be the one to say something like this, which to me says, “Your personality and sense of humor and compatibility with me are so wonderful but I’d rather be with a hot sexy guy who’s not so good for me.” I see a girlfriend/mate as the ultimate friend, and I see “being into someone” basically meaning thinking that said person is totally awesome, able to make you laugh, and gets along with you great. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I hate when people want to be facebook friends but never actually personally communicate with me. If I message you I expect you to respond or defriend me.

Corollary: I hate for people to say things just to be nice. If you don't mean it, don't say it. If you have nothing nice to genuinely say, don't say anything unless asked to or think it will help the other person, in which case, definitely say exactly what's on your mind.

I hate that 98% of the time I’m the one that initiates conversations. This seems odd because I know I am less talkative than 98% of my friends. What does this mean? I tend to think that it’s primarily because I at heart am a very sociable person, who has more free time than my friends, and who likes to actually associate with friends on a more regular basis. But maybe it’s a message that my so-called friends don’t like talking to me.

1 comment:

  1. You have just described the reason for reading between the lines and reading non verbal behavior.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Top Sites

Travel Blogs