share

Share/Bookmark

Friday, February 4, 2011

Going Through the Motions

"This might hurt
It’s not safe
But I know that I’ve gotta make a change
I don’t care
If I break
At least I’ll be feeling something
‘Cause just ok
Is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of life

I don’t wanna go through the motions
I don’t wanna go one more day
Without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don’t wanna spend my whole life asking
What if I had given everything?
Instead of going through the motions
..."

This is one of my favorite songs and it's by Contemporary Christian singer Matthew West. From time to time in nearly 4 years here, I've felt the urge to move and do something different but each time before I ended up deciding that I actually like it here. Weekly bridge games with Emory and weekend trips to Atlanta, Columbia, and other places in the Carolinas have been in abundance and kept me happy. But in the last couple of weeks it really became apparent that things are really shaking up here and it is a good time to move before I get started in new stuff that's probably going to be more of the similar unfulfilling work. 3 people have announced their departure from the flight, some to other flights in the same squadron and some to different jobs entirely.

I'm at that time where people usually either move on to something else or they become lifers at Robins. People who have been here a long time typically say that when new people come, they stay about 3 years and them move on or they wind up getting married and staying here practically their whole career. It is a short drive to Valdosta and Atlanta, where I do have several friends, but I have almost no friends here, and as great as it is to be a GS-12 with the great federal benefits and low cost of living in middle Georgia, and I feel like I'm just going through the motions Monday to Friday from 8-4:30. My first-level supervisor knows this and knows that I am looking for other jobs and wants to be kept in the loop on this so it's not like posting this is going to cost me brownie points with her or anything like that. I think I've found a job I want but it's still a long way from being anything official.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Top Sites

Travel Blogs