share

Share/Bookmark

Monday, March 22, 2010

Invention of Lying

On the plane ride home yesterday, I really thought I would sleep like a baby on my 777 flight from LAX to ATL after having had just 7 hours of sleep the 2 previous nights combined. Instead, I found quite an entertaining and thought-provoking movie, a movie that goes hand in hand with many of the issues that had been bothering me the past few days. Actually, these issues of deceit and lying and always bother me but were really brought to the front of my mind again.

The Invention of Lying is set in a mythical world where there is no concept of a lie. The word truth does not exist because everything is the truth. Not only do people only speak the truth but they freely say what’s on their mind. I like that place. I would fit in very well. I wouldn’t spend time wondering things like whether she finds me attractive, or whether she is bored or whether he was just saying something to be nice. The world would be a better place and we would be better people if we all actually said what we like AND dislike to everyone.

Sadly, the movie takes a downward turn when the main character tells a lie, creates God, and then creates fiction. It’s a very amusing sequence of events that follow that ends up with the main character gets the girl of his dreams, who said earlier she’s way out of his league, to fall in love with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Top Sites

Travel Blogs