share

Share/Bookmark

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Catching Up With Grey's Anatomy

Tonight I’ve done a lot of catching up on Grey’s Anatomy. I saw relationships being torn apart because people are so concerned with their jobs and others trying to force them into having more of a social life. It kind of scares me because it’s people like Cristina Yang that I am most attracted to. She is so concerned with being the best cardiothoracic surgeon in the world but she hides her emotions and pushes people away when there is any hint of coming in between her and her work.

The vast majority of the women I have ever been attracted to are highly motivated career-oriented future lawyers and doctors who often seem as though they care more about their careers than family or the possibility of a potential family interfering with work. I value family a lot and would put family over my career any time. I’m certainly motivated to have a career but not so much that it totally consumes my life. I tend to think I have a good balance of work and play. Maybe this is just a product of going to Georgia Tech and working for the government. While I also tend to think that I would be okay with moving to wherever my future spouse finds her dream job and her working 60 hour weeks or more, a part of me thinks this difference in philosophy is going to cause major problems – not an ego problem because she’d be working more and making more money but because I would be more needy, needy of her companionship and her being too busy to spend enough time with me. What attracts me to people like this?

The TV shows and movies I like most are largely about people who are so consumed with their work that they become incapable of having healthy relationships. Or they’re about people realizing that all the effort they’ve spent making a good career for themselves really tears apart some wonderful relationships. Maybe the really brilliant people in the world aren’t meant to have love or they’ll only be happy with someone who is equally consumed with their work but I don’t believe that is the case. Or maybe once they get out of school, their views on relationships will change. When I was at Tech, they said that we get our life back 2-3 years after graduation, once we’ve settled down in a job. But I haven’t changed, at least not in terms of how much free time I have or how I view relationships. School was not time consuming for me. It’s not because I’m that smart or didn’t get good grades – there were tons of smarter people than me at Tech and my grades and my ability to have a balanced life were just fine. I dunno. We like who we like and we can’t help it. Someday something will work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Top Sites

Travel Blogs