share

Share/Bookmark

Monday, November 23, 2009

Be My Escape

Awkward situations have been rampant in my life lately and I’ve been thinking about it a lot. If we never experienced awkwardness, we would be stuck with the same friends, with the same life. At the beginning of any relationship or friendship, there is bound to be some awkwardness, especially for someone like me who tends to be very slow at opening up to people.

If we run away at the first sign of anything awkward, we are cheating ourselves out of an opportunity. It may be more comfortable at the present time to follow your routine or stay alone but it doesn’t help to improve our quality of life. Even if a situation turns out to not be good, at least you’ll know what you’re missing. I used to run back to my comfort zone every time I found myself in a strange territory. In the last year or two I have stepped out into the world more than ever before and it is wonderful, and I realize that I missed out on many things when I was an avoider.

I am a very determined person, in many respects. I have a hard time finding things I am passionate about but once I do find something, I go all out to make the best of it and make it work. When I decide I want to be someone’s friend, I am persistent. They may at first push me away a bit with some lame excuse to avoid the bit of awkwardness, but it takes a lot of attempts before I change my mind and decide that we’re just not meant to be friends. When I decide to do something, whether it be work or bridge or tennis or acting, you can be sure I’ll work hard at it. The best things in life you have to fight for. The opportunity may fall into your lap but then you have to go after it and be bold.

Sometimes things reach the point of being awkward even after several attempts. But still, awkward is better than boring or empty. If you find some event/person boring, there’s no temptation to try it again, but if it’s awkward, at least you care and may try to approach the situation differently next time.

With Thanksgiving coming up, many of us will face some awkward situations with long lost friends and family or people you ordinarily don’t spend much time around. I say, embrace the opportunity and make the best of it.

“I’m stuck inside this rut that I fell into by mistake
I’ve gotta get outta here
And I’m begging You, I’m begging You, I’m begging
You to be my escape.
I fought you for so long
I should have let You in
Oh how we regret those things we do
And all I was trying to do was save my own skin
But so were You” – Relient K

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Top Sites

Travel Blogs