share

Share/Bookmark

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Quick Conclusions Often Lead the Best of Us Astray...

…the wisest move in life is just to wait
Otherwise, your galloping emotions run away
Like horses at the gate
Don’t fall back on your assumptions
Hasty presumptions might do you in
Sometimes having patience is as good as having brains
So take your bloody time”

Now, I have no interest in horse racing but the message in this song is wonderful. These quotes are from “Off to the Races”, one of the songs to look forward to in Edwin Drood next week. It’s gonna quite amusing.

People have a tendency to act hastily upon hearing some things or get too excited about something too quickly only to later realize that waiting it out would have led to a better outcome. This could mean waiting for a more thorough explanation or waiting until you’ve had time to think about the situation without being caught up in the emotions surrounding a situation. Our judgment is impaired when emotions are running high, whether it’s positive or negative emotions so we should postpone judgment until later, and maybe later, things will have already worked themselves out.

I used to think I was pretty good at not jumping to conclusions – I guess I still think I am good in that way, but I have been guilty of jumping to assumptions too quickly a couple of times and not being patient enough lately, and it has come back to bite me. And other people certainly have done their fair share of not having patience with me. But all is good.

It’s been several months since I started seriously considering moving and I still want to move to Montréal, at least for 6 months to a year, so it must be a real interest and not just some quick conclusion that would have led me astray. So, I waited and I am no closer or farther away from actually making that happen, but the fact that I am still interested must mean it wasn’t a bad idea. Must arrange a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Top Sites

Travel Blogs