share

Share/Bookmark

Monday, June 21, 2010

Respect

Is respect something you should get by default or something you have to earn? Does doing something someone dislikes entitle them to disrespect you?even after you apologize?

If I know you well and I ask you a question and you give a vague roundabout answer, you can/should expect me to ask at least 2 more times. I deserve a more straight answer. Sometimes, we have an understanding with some people that saying certain phrases or using a certain tone is a way of saying something else and that's fine, but most of the time, that's not the case.

If someone has upset you and they apologize, doesn't that person deserve the respect to at least some acknowledgment? Maybe you're not actually ready to forgive said person but some response is called for. Ignorance is not the way to handle things, at least not until later on if the other person still doesn't acknowledge a mistake after you've tried to explain and resolve it. If someone asks what they've fond to upset you, doesn't that person still deserve the respect of being told this information?

This doesn't apply to bridge. I don't expect anyone to say sorry for anything related to how he or she bid or played a hand, and I never will. I will acknowledge errors and point out others' errors at an appropriate time but apologies are unnecessary.

2 comments:

  1. In bridge, the person who makes the error may feel better after apologizeing, but if partner does not accept the apology, it becomes awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, i like to apologize for an error in bridge because, it affect partners score also. I dont need an acceptance of my apology, but it is my way of saying, "partner, i am still here and I know how to play better than i just exhibited, expect me to play better."

    ReplyDelete

Blog Top Sites

Travel Blogs