share

Share/Bookmark

Friday, July 2, 2010

Ten Things I Hate About You

For most people, Ten Things I Hate About You probably just goes in the category of mediocre teen romantic comedies. It is largely formulaic and full of clichés but it remains one of my favorite movies. Earlier this week I watched that movie again, for probably about the 10th time. I love the character of Kat Stratford, played by Julia Stiles. She’s a rebellious and smart independent girl. But unlike similar characters in other movies, she’s not goth or homely but rather attractive. So, the last couple of days I started watching the Ten Things I Hate About You TV series that started (and ended) last year. Not surprisingly, I liked what they did with the show. It’s the same basic characters, but I think I liked Kat even more in the TV series. She’s still the rebellious and smart girl who isn’t afraid to stand up for her beliefs and do what she wants but she has a concern for the environment and pro-actively tries to do something about it which is admirable. Her stubbornness is quite appealing as well. Her love life, which revolves around one guy, who she repeatedly denies having any feelings for and doesn’t want to believe can actually be happening, is far more intriguing than that of her sister, a wanna-be cheerleader who wants to date the hottest most popular guys in school. Anyway, apparently the show isn’t coming back for a second season. 


But there’s another reason this movie is particularly special to me. It’s what I watched on my first date, or at least what I consider to be my first date, and surely Kristen’s first date as well, 10 years ago. And as I recall Brian was there with another girl, too, but I really have no idea who. Good times but I don’t want to go back. Or do I?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Top Sites

Travel Blogs